Well here we go, how to begin? Well as the title states this blog is about the Earth and it's stupid people and was created in a period of turmoil that is my life this week. Do I have it so bad? No but I do feel rather down and perhaps by typing just a few words here and there can bleed the stress from my mind and perhaps make someone else out there laugh. Here's hoping anyway!
So what has me down? Lets recap quickly. I'm 40 now perhaps more than half way through this existence. My wife and I just had our 1'st child, a real cutey, most of the time. My wife has been overwhelmed by the constant grind that is her new life at home while I go to work and escape some of the drama so I suggested she go on a four day trip to Montreal with her Sister and her husband and I will stick out the 96 odd hours of constant care for the boy. She needed a break and I was happy to give it. Yes I'm a giver, one of my stupid traits! The four days went very well, we had a pretty good time, very little stress. We got into the pattern and rode out the ride. We even went shopping twice with no issues. So my wife returns and all is well with the world, or so it seems. The next morning I get up and get ready to go to work but feel a little off. Once in the washroom I realize the issue, I have the runs! I start to feel terrible, cold, sweaty, nauseous and continue with the runs through the day. Needless to say I spend the day and most of the evening in bed. A little dry toast and some soup is all I can stomach. Let's sum up now, 3 days off work (more about work later). The little man(Jack) is also feeling sick, we were switching his formula and it may be a reaction or he has the flu but he isn't sleeping well, cries a lot, arches is back and passes gas or has the runs. We all go to bed that evening (I was up for an hour or so to help with the bath and so on) and doesn't my wife start to feel sick. She ends up vomiting and/or having the runs all night and spends the next 36 hours in bed so I'm off work again (4 days) but felling better and now have to stick it out day and night with the sick baby.
Needless to say I am tired and under a lot of pressure. I know there is a lot of work to do at the office but my family has to come first. I finally go back to work on Thursday feeling very tired but stick it out to get the job done. I was expecting some kind of lecture about time off but nothing happens so I am glad, I don't need that on top of everything else right now.
Let make describe work: I partnered up with the owner to have a share of the business about 8 1/2 years ago. I was led to believe that I would have 20% of the company, sounded good to me and we were off. I poured in the extra time to build the company as this was what was needed. I felt good about things except I had no legal agreement (see it coming?). I asked for one and was given a poorly written letter that a layer said would never hold up in court. I told the owner this(let's call him Stan for a generic name) and he made it clear that a proper agreement would cost money and we (certainly I didn't) could not spare the expense besides he had built businesses before with partners and didn't have an agreement so what is the worry? Well it didn't take long and the 20% share was down to 15% with another partner. We were growing, very exciting so I was not too concerned but what could i do anyway? Well here we are 8 1/2 years later with me having poured many many hours , days, evenings and weekends with no overtime as we were partners and that's what partners do. We would get the payout later when the company was sold. Yet still no agreement. Now there are 2 divisions with 4 partners plus Stan. I being the only salaried "employee" with no contract, agreement or any formal document stating expectations and so on. I have acted as many different positions as required tackling any and all challenges and believed that I had shown my abilities and accrued some level of status that I was not just an employee. Well here comes the litmus test as Stan likes to say!
So i have had a lot of time off this year with the baby and so on but as I have no contract or paper work I am at the mercy of Stan. I assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that all the extra time I put in over the years would allow Me some extra time off when I really needed it. Wrong again. Remember I am a giver, well Stan is a taker! Here is the scoop. Friday night at 5:00 he dumps the bomb on me. "There is a little love note in your paycheck and we have made adjustments". Ah, nice, I don't get the cheque until Monday morning so I can stew over the issue all weekend. Recall my wife is on maternity leave which doesn't even cover the mortgage, we have another mouth to feed and clothe and it is the last pay before Christmas.
This is the icing on the cake! I'm already tapped out of energy, not sleeping, under pressure from all sides including my own self destructive mentality and Stan deals with me like a common employee by taking away money at the least opportune time.
Thanks Stan you truly are a Stupid Human!
This is exactly the reason I say, "Nice planet too bad about all the stupid people!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment